Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Journey Begins

When I was a sophomore in high school, I had a friend convince me to join the school paper. I had always loved reading and writing, so I thought it would be a great experience to try my writing skills in a journalistic environment.

My first story was actually a big news story: covering the oil spill in the gulf (now I'm REALLY aging myself). I recall being so excited to write about something so important. I went around to students at my school, asking for their responses to this dreadful accident. I lived off researching the timeline of events regarding the disaster. I spent so many hours displeased and discouraged with my work, rewriting time and time again in the hopes of achieving an impossible perfection.

The moment I saw my name and story in print, I remember clearly thinking to myself, "I'm a journalist."

No comments:

Post a Comment