Thursday, October 2, 2014

Response to Ciara's "Is the HPER Doing Too Much?"

In her blog, Ciara discussed the working conditions in the HPER center for student workers. They now have to wear uniforms, enforce the ID check, and the students are not allowed to work on homework or studying while at work.

I, for one, don't see this as much of a problem. In a lot of jobs, people wear uniforms: it's part of the process. It shows unity and spirit in what you're attempting to do at your job.

Enforcing the ID check is also a good thing. While, yes, it is unfortunate that students are turned away for practices when they don't have their card, part of their responsibility is to recognize that they need to show it when they enter the building. That's like driving a car without a license; it's your responsibility to have your license on your person to verify that you are permitted to drive. It's an issue of safety/protecting the well-being of responsible parties.

And finally, being a student worker, I know what it's like to not be allowed to do homework at my job. While, yes, it's hard on me when I know I still have three papers to write or a large reading I haven't even started and I hear about my friends sitting behind a desk at another job finishing that same reading, I recognize that this is a JOB. I'm being paid to contribute to the Wittenberg community, not to do my schoolwork. An on-campus job has responsibilities, and we have to respect that and treat it as if it were a job in the real world.

1 comment:

  1. Jess, I really enjoyed your ability to sum-up Ciara's points, and counter them precisely and concisely.

    However, I am going to pull back on a few of the points you made:
    1.) I think the ID check is more dangerous than you recognize. As I'm sure you know, a lot of people have money on their ID; people use it as a credit card. I find it a serious hazard to have to bring my credit card into the gym with me. What is more, because of the policy, everyone knows everyone has their credit card on them. This policy, in short, creates a serious liability for theft. And this is definitely not worth the problem it's trying to solve: that is, non-students coming to the fitness center.

    2.) On the argument vis-a-vis work study jobs contributing to the community, I can't say I agree with this, either. It's not as though Wittenberg is ponying-up the cash for these jobs. They're mostly funded via federal work study grants. The money is given to Wittenberg so they can pay students to do their homework; it's a super-privlidged opportunity for students--but even more so for Wittenberg as an institution. They are getting nearly completely free labor. Witt employers shouldn't have absolute authority over the labor if they aren't paying for it.

    ReplyDelete