Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Creatures Stirring

Just a few moments ago, as I was studying, I heard a knock on my door. I opened to find my neighbor in a frantic state.

She has a mouse in her room. She went to brush her teeth and spotted the creature on her way out of the door. Having never dealt with vermin, she is lost on how to get rid of it, and doesn't feel comfortable going back to her room.

She and I have been standing here, talking about her options. Our RA was contacted, but she wasn't trained on how to handle this situation. Currently, attempts to contact both the CA and AC are happening.

Vermin are nothing new on this campus. Reports earlier in the year have been made of mice in campus housing; my roommate found a cockroach in the room when she moved in; and an incident occurred a few years ago (in the same residence hall) in which a student woke up in the middle of the night to find a cockroach on her face.

Unfortunately, creatures cannot always be prevented from entering buildings; it's part of life. But we need to educate our students and RAs better on how to handle these situations, so students can feel safe in their homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment