Sunday, September 21, 2014

Response to Luke's "Is Rock Music Dead?"

In Luke's post, he discussed how pop music has taken the center attention and is now disregarding what he described as "raw, emotional, and powerful music that held true meaning," a.k.a. rock music. He argues that the only place rock music can still have domination is in live performances.

I agree with Luke's statement, in that today's society emphasizes the sugary-pop and rap genres of music, and radios play fewer and fewer songs that could even remotely be classified as "rock." I have honestly stopped listening to the radio for the most part, because I cannot find music that brings me joy there anymore.

I've turned to the alternative/indie pop punk genre as my main focus, because only there can I still find lyrics that talk of something more important than clubbing or intercourse; in this genre, there are still songs about dreams and self-discovery, of all of the intricacies that define humanity.

As the penman behind 218 original songs, I find it fascinating to see how I've changed throughout the years as a songwriter. Back when "pop" music still had integrity, I was creating pieces to reflect it in that respect. But as I've aged, I have seen a change in my musical style to be reminiscent of early Green Day combined with Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco, and All Time Low. My music has started to embody the styles of the only performers and music I still believe in.

1 comment: